Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Deep-fried bananas, Vietnamese Style. Dipped in a crisp hazelnut and breadcrumb coating, served with a warm caramel and coconut sauce, and accompanied by ice-cream, these are the perfect finish to an Asian meal.
- 6 firm ripe Asian bananas (preferably Lady Finger or Sugar bananas)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1⁄4 cup packaged breadcrumbs
- 4 cups vegetable oil or 4 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
- vanilla ice cream or coconut ice cream or mango ice cream, to serve
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons dark rum
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) can coconut milk
- Peel bananas and cut in half lengthways.
- Place lightly beaten egg in a shallow bowl, and the combined ground hazelnuts and breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Dip banana pieces firstly into egg, and then coat in hazelnut and breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok to 375ºF, and deep-fry bananas, in batches, until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper, and keep warm until all the banana has been cooked.
- For the caramel sauce, melt butter in a small pan, then add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Bring to the boil and cook, uncovered, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 8 minutes.
- Serve each individual portion with icecream of choice.