Deep-fried bananas, Vietnamese Style. Dipped in a crisp hazelnut and breadcrumb coating, served with a warm caramel and coconut sauce, and accompanied by ice-cream, these are the perfect finish to an Asian meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 firm ripe Asian bananas (preferably Lady Finger or Sugar bananas)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup packaged breadcrumbs
- 4 cups vegetable oil or 4 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
- vanilla ice cream or coconut ice cream or mango ice cream, to serve
- 1Peel bananas and cut in half lengthways.
- 2Place lightly beaten egg in a shallow bowl, and the combined ground hazelnuts and breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl.
- 3Dip banana pieces firstly into egg, and then coat in hazelnut and breadcrumb mixture.
- 4Heat cooking oil in a wok to 375ºF, and deep-fry bananas, in batches, until golden brown.
- 5Drain on absorbent kitchen paper, and keep warm until all the banana has been cooked.
- 6For the caramel sauce, melt butter in a small pan, then add remaining ingredients and stir.
- 7Bring to the boil and cook, uncovered, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 8 minutes.
- 8Serve each individual portion with icecream of choice.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Caramel Bananas
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1685.7
- Calories from Fat 1468
- Total Fat 163.1 g
- Saturated Fat 30.0 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 82.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 41.6 g
- Protein 4.8 g