Toby Jermain's Note:
This recipe is from Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, published back in the early '80s. Serve it with his hushpuppies, also being submitted. Fry the hushpuppies first, and set aside while frying the catfish,
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, lightly crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, lightly crushed
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup cornflour (available at health food stores) or 1 cup masa harina (Mexican corn flour)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup creole mustard (or brown mustard)
- 2 -3 lbs catfish fillets, trimmed,rinsed,patted dry,and cut in 1 x 2 inch pieces
- peanut oil or canola oil (for deep frying)
- 1Thoroughly combine seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2In a cake pan, combine 1-1/2 Tsp of the mix with 1 cup flour.
- 3In another pan, combine 2 Tbsp seasoning mix with the remaining 1-1/2 cups flour and the cornmeal and corn flour.
- 4In a third pan, beat together the milk, eggs, and mustard.
- 5Reheat the oil used for the hushpuppies to 350 degrees F.
- 6Meanwhile, sprinkle the remaining seasoning mix on both sides of the fish fillets, and let set for at least 5 minutes.
- 7Dredge in flour first, then coat with egg mixture.
- 8Dredge in cornmeal mixture, pressing the mixture firmly into the fish with your fingers.
- 9Shake off excess coating.
- 10Fry the fish in hot oil until browned and crisp.
- 11Do not crowd while cooking.
- 12Drain on paper towels.
- 13Let oil reheat to 350 degrees F before cooking next batch.
- 14Serve immediately with hushpuppies.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Catfish
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 934.1
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 226.1 mg
- Sodium 2231.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 126.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 55.1 g