Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, published back in the early '80s. Serve it with his hushpuppies, also being submitted. Fry the hushpuppies first, and set aside while frying the catfish,
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, lightly crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, lightly crushed
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup cornflour (available at health food stores) or 1 cup masa harina (Mexican corn flour)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup creole mustard (or brown mustard)
- 2 -3 lbs catfish fillets, trimmed,rinsed,patted dry,and cut in 1 x 2 inch pieces
- peanut oil or canola oil (for deep frying)
- Thoroughly combine seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a cake pan, combine 1-1/2 Tsp of the mix with 1 cup flour.
- In another pan, combine 2 Tbsp seasoning mix with the remaining 1-1/2 cups flour and the cornmeal and corn flour.
- In a third pan, beat together the milk, eggs, and mustard.
- Reheat the oil used for the hushpuppies to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the remaining seasoning mix on both sides of the fish fillets, and let set for at least 5 minutes.
- Dredge in flour first, then coat with egg mixture.
- Dredge in cornmeal mixture, pressing the mixture firmly into the fish with your fingers.
- Shake off excess coating.
- Fry the fish in hot oil until browned and crisp.
- Do not crowd while cooking.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Let oil reheat to 350 degrees F before cooking next batch.
- Serve immediately with hushpuppies.
Excellent. Did not use any onion powder. Replaced the garlic with garlic powder. Replaced the cayenne pepper with crushed red pepper flakes. After combining the crushed red pepper flakes, paprika, pepper, garlic power, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano and thyme, ran it quickly through the food processor. The color and seasoning were terrific.
Great recipe! Worth the little extra time it takes to put it together! I made it exactly as written and the whole family loved it, thanks!