2 hrs 8 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Be warned-I haven't made this. I want to, and needed to put it into a format I could follow more easily. The instructions were 'interesting" to say the least. When I make it I'll add any corrections I think are needed. Prep time and cook time are a bit of a guess, as is the yield. The recipe says it makes 60 bite sized or 30 medium sized coxinhas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 egg whites, whisked lightly
- 1Cut chicken breasts into 2 inch cubes, and place in a saucepan with onion, garlic, margarine, stock cubes, salt and pepper and 3 cups of water.
- 2Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until done.
- 3Strain solids from broth, retaining broth and solids.
- 4Finely chop the chicken to make the filling.
- 5Add the parsley and chopped green onion to the chicken.
- 6Measure the remaining broth into a saucepan-you will need 3 cups, so make it up with extra water.
- 7Add all the flour, and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon for 1 minute until it becomes stiff.
- 8Turn out, allow to cool a little, but while it is still warm, knead dough until it is smooth and no lumps of flour remain.
- 9(About 10 minutes) Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick and cut medium sized circles with a biscuit cutter.
- 10Place the dough in the palm of your hand, place a small cube of cream cheese and a teaspoon of the prepared filling.
- 11Judge the filling to the size of the circle you cut-you have to be able to seal it!
- 12Knead scraps and re-roll, and continue cutting until all the dough is used.
- 13Fold and close the dough in the shape of a drumstick (the word Coxinha means "little drumstick" in Portuguese).
- 14Brush the filled pastries with egg white and roll in breadcrumbs.
- 15Deep-fry the snacks for 8 minutes at 350f or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Chicken Pastries (Coxinha)
Serving Size: 1 (1218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.4
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 91.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 4.9 g