Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a southern recipe from Southern Living
Make and share this Fried Cooter (Soft-Shell Turtle) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs turtle, cut into 2 to 4-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- vegetable salt
- Combine turtle, vinegar, and 1 teaspoon salt; cover with water and simmer for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Combine flour, milk, egg yolks, olive oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold until batter.
- Dip turtle pieces into batter; fry until golden brown in deep oil heated to 375°F Drain well on paper towels.