Pretty standard fish and chips style fish. the beer batter and cornstarch make for a very crispy crust. Not a whole lot of grease if you're careful. From Alton Brown's Good Eats
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Heat the safflower oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over high heat until it reaches 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay seasoning.
- Whisk in the beer until the batter is completely smooth and free of any lumps.
- Refrigerate for 15-60 minutes.
- Lightly dredge fish strips in cornstarch.
- Working in small batches, dip the fish into batter and immerse into hot oil.
- When the batter is set, turn the pieces of fish over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the fish on a roasting rack.
- Allow oil to return to 350 degrees between batches.