Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
These thick mozarella wedges are a lot like what you'll get at a restaurant, and the hearty homemade marinara is the perfect complement.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup egg white, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- Saute onions in saucepan (do not brown).
- Add liquid drained from diced tomatoes.
- Add basil, Italian seasoning, sugar & red pepper. Simmer 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat & set aside.
- Cut cheese into thick slices & cut diagonally triangles.
- Beat egg whites with water & set aside.
- Mix bread crumbs, garlic salt, & Italian seasonings; set aside.
- Blend flour with corn starch; set aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying to 360 degrees.
- Dip cheese in flour, then in egg, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Place in hot oil & fry a few seconds until golden.
- Remove from oil and drain.
- Add all tomatoes to saucepan & cook 1-2 minutes or until heated.
- Pour marinara into dipping bowl & top with parmesan.
Use wax paper to set the mozarella sticks on! For gods sake whatever you do use wax paper. I drained mine on paper towels and the cheese that oozed out stuck to the paper and made quite the mess. Definitely only fry them for a few seconds as they cook very quickly. I used tongs to pick mine out of the oil and it squeezed them too hard. perhaps some type of spatula would have saved the shape of them better. good recipe though! thanks