Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These thick mozarella wedges are a lot like what you'll get at a restaurant, and the hearty homemade marinara is the perfect complement.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup egg white, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- Saute onions in saucepan (do not brown).
- Add liquid drained from diced tomatoes.
- Add basil, Italian seasoning, sugar & red pepper. Simmer 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat & set aside.
- Cut cheese into thick slices & cut diagonally triangles.
- Beat egg whites with water & set aside.
- Mix bread crumbs, garlic salt, & Italian seasonings; set aside.
- Blend flour with corn starch; set aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying to 360 degrees.
- Dip cheese in flour, then in egg, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Place in hot oil & fry a few seconds until golden.
- Remove from oil and drain.
- Add all tomatoes to saucepan & cook 1-2 minutes or until heated.
- Pour marinara into dipping bowl & top with parmesan.