Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 min
Make and share this Fried Norwegian Cookies Aka Fattigmans Bakkelse recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- powdered sugar
- Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until thick and lemon colored.
- Beat in butter, milk and vanilla until well blended.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups flour.
- Beat at low speed until well blended.
- Stir in enough remaining flour with spoon to form soft dough.
- Divide dough into 4 portions; cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- With floured hands, shape 1 portion dough at a time into 1-inch-thick square.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface.
- Roll out dough to 11-inch square.
- Cut dough into 1 1/4-inch strips; cut strips diagonally at 2-inch intervals.
- Cut 1 1/4-inch slit vertically down center of each strip.
- Insert one end of strip through cut to form twist; repeat with each strip.
- Repeat with remaining dough portions.
- Heat oil in large saucepan to 365°F.
- Place 12 cookies at a time in hot oil.
- Fry about 1 1/2 minutes or until golden brown, turning cookies once with slotted spoon.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Dust cookies with powdered sugar.
- Cookies are best if served immediately, but can be stored in airtight container for up to 1 day.
I have never had these before but my mom talks about them every year. So this year I tried to make them for her, not knowing what they should look or taste like. She said they looked right but didn't taste like she remembered - she only ended up eating one and calling them "edible" rather than good. Sorry. :(