Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
You can use different veggies.Cauliflower would be great! When I served this they didn't realize they were eating okra. The sauce is a must! Remoulade Sauce Remoulade Sauce
- 1 lb okra, cut into 1/4 inch slice
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly mixed
- 2 cups corn oil, more if needed
- salt, for seasoning
- Combine the flour, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and salt in a shallow bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- When it is very hot, dredge the okra in the flour mixture, shake off any excess then dip into egg then flour again and fry in the oil in batches until light-brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Season with salt.
- Serve with Remoulade Sauce recipe#87124.
Loved this recipe. I don't normally deep fry things but this was a special treat. I did find the quantities off a bit. I used 400g okra (nearly the pound required) but needed 2 eggs to batter all the pieces and probably could have gotten away with 1 cup flour. I also only made a half batch of the dip but we had heaps leftover. started with frozen okra and that worked just fine. They brown pretty quickly in the oil, maybe about 45 seconds to a minute. I don't have a deep fryer so I just did this in a saucepan and with the help of a slotted spoon. A very light and crispy batter.
Definately need the sauce even though the okra is good without it the sauce adds that special touch. The secret is to fry a small amount at a time, otherwise the oil cools down. Made this as per the recipe. Delicious!
I love fried okra and the spicy breading on this was delicious. The remoulade sauce is an absolute must with this okra recipe. It transforms plain fried okra into a whole new taste experience. My whole family couldn't get enough of this, so next time I'm going to double the recipe. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe!