Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This was my first attempt at onions rings, and they were really good. Super quick to make too.
Make and share this Fried Onion Rings recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large sweet onion
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Cut onion into 1/2 inch slices; separate into rings.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne.
- Combine the egg and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375°.
- Dip onion rings into batter.
- Fry a few at a time for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels (keep warm in a 300° oven).
These rings were excellent! They stayed crisp in the oven whilst I cooked the others. I added a bit more of both flours because the egg I sed was extremely large. Thanks for a good recipe.
fantastic, perfect, ohmigod. will never need another recipe. thank you!
These were very tasty onion rings. Fried up crisp and light. What more would you want. Thanks for posting this recipe.