From the cookbook A little taste of China
Make and share this Fried Quail With Spicy Salt recipe from Food.com.
Salt and pepper mix
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons szechuan peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 4 quail
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, mix (see above)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 -3 tablespoons plain flour (all purpose)
- oil (for deep frying)
- lemon wedge, to serve
- To make the spicy salt and pepper, combine the ingredients and dry fry over a low heat for 2-3 minutes or until aromatic.
- Split each quail in half down the middle and clean well.
- Marinate with the teaspoon of spicy salt and pepper, sugar, soy and rice wine for 2-3 hours, turning frequently.
- Coat each quail piece in flour, dustin off the excess.
- Fill a wok to 1/4 full with oil and heat the oil to 190c.
- Fry the quail for 2-3 minutes each side then remove from the wok and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with the lemon wedges on the side.