Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious and easy with just a few secrets about fried shrimp or any fish for that matter. Get them as fresh as possible. If you can't get them fresh get frozen. They are flash frozen on the boats now. Have your grease hot but not smoking-I use a fry daddy. Cook only a few shrimp (6 to 8) at a time so you don't drop the temperature of the grease. Don't overcook! It only takes a minute or so. When they are golden brown they are done! Enjoy!
- Place shrimp in buttermilk and place in refrigerator 3 or 4 hours. This isn't necessary but they are better.
- Mix corn meal, flour, creole seasoning (I use Emeril's-the recipe is in Zaar) and salt in a gallon zip lock bag. Shake to mix well.
- Coat shrimp, 6 to 8 at a time in mixture and shake off the excess.
- Fry in hot oil, canola or peanut oil (my favorite) until golden brown. This should only take one to two minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
These fried shrimp were better than shrimp you get at a restaurant. I did coat with Panko in addition to the flour mixture in the recipe. There were great shrimp. I am making another batch tonight.