Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These bites would be as good as a side dish as they are for appetizers. From the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 2 cups cooked spinach, well drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons onions, grated
- 2 tablespoons cheese, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- oil, for frying
- Combine chopped spinach with melted butter, seasonings, one egg, bread crumbs, onion, cheese, and allspice; mix thoroughly and let stand for ten minutes.
- Shape into balls.
- Combine remaining egg with water and beat together until well blended.
- Roll spinach balls in bread crumbs, dip in egg, and again in bread crumbs.
- Preheat oil to 375F and fry balls until golden.