2 hrs 45 mins
Miss Erin's Note:
This is a real southern treat from Emeril's TV Dinner's cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup cane syrup (Steen's brand)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 dashes Bourbon
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the oil, salt and pepper.
- 3Put them on a baking sheet and roast until tender about 1-1/2 hours.
- 4Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- 5In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and 2 tsp sugar.
- 6Add the shortening and work it with your hands until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- 7Add the ice water, 1 tbsp at a time.
- 8Add only as much as you need to make a smooth ball.
- 9Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 10Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface.
- 11Roll out into a rectangle about 24x8 inches and about 1/8" thick.
- 12With a sharp knife, cut 12 4-inch squares.
- 13Peel the potatoes and put the flesh in a large mixing bowl.
- 14Add the egg yolk, cane syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and a splash of bourbon and mix well.
- 15Place about 1/4 cup of the filling into the center of each pastry square.
- 16Fold one corner to the opposite corner to form a triangle.
- 17Using the tines of a fork, crimp the edges to seal.
- 18Heat 4" of oil in a large heavy pot or electric fryer to 360°F.
- 19Fry the pies 2 or 3 at a time until golden brown, turning them once.
- 20Remove the pies and drain on paper towels.
- 21Sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp of sugar.
- 22Combine the powdered sugar, milk and remaining splash of bourbon in a medium mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- 23Drizzle over the hot pies and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Sweet Potato Pies
Serving Size: 1 (1414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.8
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.8 mg
- Sodium 53.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 3.3 g