Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a real southern treat from Emeril's TV Dinner's cookbook.
Make and share this Fried Sweet Potato Pies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup cane syrup (Steen's brand)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 dashes Bourbon
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Put them on a baking sheet and roast until tender about 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and 2 tsp sugar.
- Add the shortening and work it with your hands until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Add the ice water, 1 tbsp at a time.
- Add only as much as you need to make a smooth ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Roll out into a rectangle about 24x8 inches and about 1/8" thick.
- With a sharp knife, cut 12 4-inch squares.
- Peel the potatoes and put the flesh in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg yolk, cane syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and a splash of bourbon and mix well.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the filling into the center of each pastry square.
- Fold one corner to the opposite corner to form a triangle.
- Using the tines of a fork, crimp the edges to seal.
- Heat 4" of oil in a large heavy pot or electric fryer to 360°F.
- Fry the pies 2 or 3 at a time until golden brown, turning them once.
- Remove the pies and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Combine the powdered sugar, milk and remaining splash of bourbon in a medium mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Drizzle over the hot pies and serve immediately.