1 hr 30 mins
I came across this recipe while looking for things to make with Tamarind (available in Asian markets) and zucchini. I haven't made this recipe yet but i am planning on making it when zucchini is abundant. Prep time incudes standing time (30 minutes). Recipe source: Saveur (April/May 2003)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 inch tamarind pulp
- 2 dried red chilies
- 4 sprigs cilantro, trimmed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 1/3 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- peanut oil (for frying)
- 1 1/2 lbs zucchini, trimmed,peeled,seeded and cut into 3 x 1/4 inch sticks (fingers)
- 1To make dipping sauce: place tamarind into a small bowl and add 2/3 cup warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes and press through a fine sieve into a medium bowl, pressing with the back of a spoon. Discard solids.
- 2Crush chiles with a motar and pestle and add to the disolved tamarind.
- 3Stir in the cilantro, garlic, sugar, fish sauce and salt, stirring until sugar dissovles. Transfer to serving bowl and set aside.
- 4Whisk flours, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- 5Gradually add 1 cup water, whisking until batter is smooth. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 6Pour oil in a wok or large skillet to a depth of 2 inches and heat over medium heat until temperature reaches 325-degrees F on a candy therometer.
- 7Put in 1/3 of the zucchini into the batter and coat well.
- 8Transfer battered zucchini, one at a time, to wok with hot oil and fry, stirring with a slotted spoon, until golden and crisp (12-15 minutes). Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- 9Repeat battering and frying with remaining zucchini fingers.
- 10Drain well on paper towels and serve hot with dipping sauce.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Zucchini Fingers With Tamarind Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.8
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1331.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: