Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This is a light and crispy version of General Tso Chicken.I got this recipe from a local japanese cuisine restaurant (dont ask how ;P) Its healthier then your standard chinese restaurant version because it uses japanese panko breadcrumbs and white meat chicken instead of flour dredged fatty dark meat chunks typical chinese restaurants use.
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 large eggs (yolks removed)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or molasses)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄8 cup dry sherry (or other white wine)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or 1 Tbsp white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon plum sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce (or Tamari soy sauce)
- 1 green onion (scallion)
- 3 slices ginger, 1/4 inch thick. (size of US quarter)
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 5 whole dried red chilies (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (cold pressed, NOT toasted, 1 tbsp hot chili oil can be substituted for sesame oil, and red chiles)
- ***Chicken Preperation***.
- 1. Start by slicing the chicken breast from wide end to thin end. About 1/4 inch strips. Place in ziplock bag along with cornstarch and egg whites. Combine and place in refrigerator for about 1 hour.(this will tenderize chicken).
- 2. After 1 hour combine Panko bread crumbs and coconut flakes and lay out in casserole dish. Place chicken strips in dish and dredge to coat. Place strips on cooling rack folding each strip in half to make a "U" shape(this will help absorb sauce better)Place cooling rack in freezer while you prepare the sauce.(this will help chicken keep its "U" shape aswell as breading stick better).
- ***Sauce Preperation***.
- Wisk in bowl all ingedients except water(to be added later)cover and place in refrigerator till needed.
- ***Stir fry Preperation***.
- Chop deseeded Chiles into 1/4 inch pieces. Combine with Sesame oil and set aside. Slice ginger slices into thin strips. Smash garlic clove and mince. Chop green onion into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces. Combine and set aside.
- ***To Fry Chicken***.
- Remove chicken from freezer and place in 350 F preheated deep fryer for 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels and set aside. Start with step one immediately.
- ***Step One***.
- Place Wok on stove set to medium. Toss in Chiles and oil and cook until oil starts to sizzle. Toss in garlic,ginger, and green onions. Stir for 1-2 minutes until green onions start to wilt.
- ***Step Two***.
- Now toss in sauce and stir until sauce begins to bubble. Add water and remove from heat.
- ***Step Three***.
- Toss chicken in Wok and stir until chicken is well coated. Spoon chicken and sauce over a bed of steamed rice, or fresh steamed broccoli and serve.