1/7 Photos of General Tso Chicken
2 hrs 10 mins
This is a light and crispy version of General Tso Chicken.I got this recipe from a local japanese cuisine restaurant (dont ask how ;P) Its healthier then your standard chinese restaurant version because it uses japanese panko breadcrumbs and white meat chicken instead of flour dredged fatty dark meat chunks typical chinese restaurants use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or molasses)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 1/8 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 cup dry sherry (or other white wine)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or 1 Tbsp white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon plum sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce (or Tamari soy sauce)
- 1***Chicken Preperation***.
- 21. Start by slicing the chicken breast from wide end to thin end. About 1/4 inch strips. Place in ziplock bag along with cornstarch and egg whites. Combine and place in refrigerator for about 1 hour.(this will tenderize chicken).
- 32. After 1 hour combine Panko bread crumbs and coconut flakes and lay out in casserole dish. Place chicken strips in dish and dredge to coat. Place strips on cooling rack folding each strip in half to make a "U" shape(this will help absorb sauce better)Place cooling rack in freezer while you prepare the sauce.(this will help chicken keep its "U" shape aswell as breading stick better).
- 4***Sauce Preperation***.
- 5Wisk in bowl all ingedients except water(to be added later)cover and place in refrigerator till needed.
- 6***Stir fry Preperation***.
- 7Chop deseeded Chiles into 1/4 inch pieces. Combine with Sesame oil and set aside. Slice ginger slices into thin strips. Smash garlic clove and mince. Chop green onion into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces. Combine and set aside.
- 8***To Fry Chicken***.
- 9Remove chicken from freezer and place in 350 F preheated deep fryer for 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels and set aside. Start with step one immediately.
- 10***Step One***.
- 11Place Wok on stove set to medium. Toss in Chiles and oil and cook until oil starts to sizzle. Toss in garlic,ginger, and green onions. Stir for 1-2 minutes until green onions start to wilt.
- 12***Step Two***.
- 13Now toss in sauce and stir until sauce begins to bubble. Add water and remove from heat.
- 14***Step Three***.
- 15Toss chicken in Wok and stir until chicken is well coated. Spoon chicken and sauce over a bed of steamed rice, or fresh steamed broccoli and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for General Tso Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1094.0
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 448.0 mg
- Sodium 1552.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 135.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 58.4 g
- Protein 52.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: