Happy Hippie's Note:
I can't wait to make this version of General Tso's Chicken. A detailed write-up and the recipe I found in the February/March 2008 publication of "Cooks Country" magazine. Note: In step 4, the fried chicken pieces can be held in 200 degree oven for up to 30 minutes before being added to the sauce (if held any longer, they will lose their crispness). If the sauce is too thick in step 5, whisk in 1 tablespoon of water before adding the crispy chicken. Note #2: Please note that the time's I've enter are guesstimations only and the marinading time is not included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Marinade and Sauce
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 pounds cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Coating and Frying
- 1For the marinade and sauce: Whisk hoisin, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarchand water in bowl.
- 2Combine 6 tablespoons hoisin mixture and chicken in zipper-lock bag; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- 4Cook garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 5Add 2 cups hoisin mixture and simmer, whisking constantly, until dark brown and thickened, about 2 minute.
- 6Cover and keep sauce warm.
- 7For coating and frying: Whisk egg whites in shallow dish until foamy.
- 8Combine cornstarch, flour, baking soda, and remaining hoisin mixture in second shallow dish until mixture resembles course meal.
- 9remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with aper towels.
- 10Toss half of the chicken with egg whites until well coated, then dredge chicken in cornstarch mixture, pressing to adhere.
- 11Transfer coated chicken to plate and repeat with remaining chicken.
- 12Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until oil registers 350 degrees.
- 13Fry half of the chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning each piece halfway through cooking.
- 14Transfer chicken to paper towel-lined plate.
- 15Return oil to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining chicken.
- 16To serve: Warm sauce over medium-low heat until simmering, about 1 minute.
- 17Add crispy chicken and toss to coat.
- 18Serving over rice or noodles would be awesome!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for General Tso's Chicken (Restaurant Quality)
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2480.6
- Calories from Fat 2018
- Total Fat 224.2 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 69.4 mg
- Sodium 1554.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 34.4 g