A Chinese restaurant favorite. My personal favorite version. :)
Make and share this General Tso's Chicken (Tso Chung Gai) recipe from Food.com.
For the Chicken
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
For the Sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons chinese rice wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry sherry
For the Rest
- peanut oil
- cornstarch, for dusting
- 8 small dried hot chili peppers
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced green onion
- 4 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- Mix together egg, salt, black pepper, and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Add the chicken cubes; mix to coat, and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, garlic, ginger,hoisin sauce, sugar, rice wine vinegar, and sherry for the sauce; reserve.
- Heat wok over high heat for a minute or so; add about 3 1/2-4 cups of peanut oil to wok, and heat to 350 degrees F.
- With tongs, remove chicken cubes individually from bowl, dust with 1 tbsp. cornstarch, shaking off excess, and place in the hot oil.
- Deep-fry chicken pieces for 1 1/2-2 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- turn off heat, and remove chicken with a wire strainer and drain over a bowl.
- Pour off all but 1 1/2 tbsp. of the oil from the wok.
- Heat the wok over high heat for 20-30 seconds; add the chilies and stir-fry for 15-20 seconds, then add the green onions, cooking for 30 seconds more.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 1 minute; remove all from wok and set aside.
- Stir sauce mixture into wok,stirring well, until sauce thickens into a nice glaze
- add chicken and chilis/onions back into the wok, stirring until everything is well coated, about 1 1/2-2 minutes.
- Place on platter; and garnish with steamed broccoli florets.
- Serve with rice.