1/12 Photos of General Tso's Chicken (Tso Chung Gai)
Sue Lau's Note:
A Chinese restaurant favorite. My personal favorite version. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chicken
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
For the Sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons chinese rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry sherry
For the Rest
- 1Mix together egg, salt, black pepper, and cornstarch in a bowl.
- 2Add the chicken cubes; mix to coat, and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- 3In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, garlic, ginger,hoisin sauce, sugar, rice wine vinegar, and sherry for the sauce; reserve.
- 4Heat wok over high heat for a minute or so; add about 3 1/2-4 cups of peanut oil to wok, and heat to 350 degrees F.
- 5With tongs, remove chicken cubes individually from bowl, dust with 1 tbsp. cornstarch, shaking off excess, and place in the hot oil.
- 6Deep-fry chicken pieces for 1 1/2-2 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- 7turn off heat, and remove chicken with a wire strainer and drain over a bowl.
- 8Pour off all but 1 1/2 tbsp. of the oil from the wok.
- 9Heat the wok over high heat for 20-30 seconds; add the chilies and stir-fry for 15-20 seconds, then add the green onions, cooking for 30 seconds more.
- 10Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 1 minute; remove all from wok and set aside.
- 11Stir sauce mixture into wok,stirring well, until sauce thickens into a nice glaze
- 12add chicken and chilis/onions back into the wok, stirring until everything is well coated, about 1 1/2-2 minutes.
- 13Place on platter; and garnish with steamed broccoli florets.
- 14Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for General Tso's Chicken (Tso Chung Gai)
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.7
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 141.1 mg
- Sodium 1040.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 27.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar