A really good traditional Mennonite dish. Eat with watermelon. Could be eaten as a snack or dessert.
- Mix and make a soft but not sticky dough.
- Roll and cut into oblong pieces.
- Make a cut in the centre (but not from edge to edge).
- Take an end and pull through the middle.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Eat with watermelon.
These roll kuchen cookies are delicious. They brought back a lot of childhood memories of the Polish equivalent to this recipe. The sour cream makes a lovely tender dough. I made half the recipe and now I know next time, and there will be a next time, that I should have made the whole recipe!! They are disappearing quickly. Everyone loves them. Will try eating them with watermelon when it is available.
I wish I could give this more than 5 stars! This is by far the best roll kuchen recipe that I have ever tried! It easily replaces the two recipes that I have posted for roll kuchen. I made these after having an abundance of sour cream and now this will be the only recipe that I make. Thanks so much for sharing this!