Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
Wonderful for apple lovers. Adapted from the internet.
Make and share this Glazed Apple Cider Doughnuts recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider or 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and cider. Stir in the melted butter.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients.
- Turn the soft dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a 1/2-inch-high-round.
- Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil in a deep pot over medium heat.
- Use a doughnut cutter to make the donoughts.
- Use a spatula to carefully lower a doughnut into the hot oil. You can cook several at once, just don't crowd them.
- Once the doughnuts rise to the surface and begin to brown, flip them with the spatula.
- Remove after 2 to 3 minutes, or when the doughnuts are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- To make the glaze, stir together the confectioners' sugar and the cider (or milk) and spoon the mixture over the doughnuts.
I didn't like these either, they were hard and oily. I tried taking them out when lightly browned but they were uncooked inside. I tried different oil temps. With no luck. I also tried a second time, same thing happened. My kids wouldn't even eat them. I ended up liking a baked recipe from dianasdessers.com they were 5 stars
I modified this to get a better cider flavor by starting with 1 cup of cider and reduced it on the stove to 1/3 cup. cool it before adding it. Made a more flavorful doughnut.
I don't know what happened,but these failed for me.They turned out very heavy.I followed the recipe as it is.They have a nice taste but just not right,I must have done something wrong.I will try again later,I don't usually give up. Well I don't know what happened but these are great the 2nd time around.I had to have done something wrong the first time,Thank you for the recipe!