A Bette Hagman Recipe- a delicious treat. I had thought that doughnuts were on the forever-gone list until I tried these little morsels :) Best served hot, but still OK cold. They can be frozen, defrosted and reheated in the oven
- Heat oil in a deep fryer (375°F ). You will need at least one -two inches deep of oil. Whilst the oil is heating, prepare the doughnut recipe. Do not leave the heating oil unattended.
- Using a saucepan, heat the water and butter until boiling point is reached. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Dump in the potato starch, sugar and salt. Stir until the mixture forms a ball and has pulled away from the sides of the saucepan. (Much like making a choux pastry).
- With an electric mixer, add in the eggs -one at a time. Beat well between adding each egg.
- Drop the batter into the heated oil by small rounded teaspoonfuls, a few at a time. The doughnut holes will puff up as they are cooking to about 1 1/2 inches. Turn them throughout cooking to brown evenly. They'll take approx 5 minutes to cook. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.
- While still warm shake them in a plastic bag with cinnamon sugar (2 tablespoons of sugar to 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon).