Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Most of us eat these at the fair but it is also an Afghanistan dessert sometimes served at a dastarkhan, literally 'tablecloth', the enormous meal served to family and guests on special occasions. The American version usually does not have cardamom and pistachio as part of the ingredient list.
- Beat eggs, then add and beat together salt, sugar, oil and milk.
- Add sifted flour to beaten mixture, turn out on lightly floured board and knead for 10 minutes until smooth.
- (Add a little water if necessary).
- Roll out small sections of dough to paper thin circles or squares.
- For ears, pleat in one side of a circular piece- for bows pleat in the center of a rectangular piece.
- (You can make these up to a foot in diameter- whatever your pan will accommodate.) Heat fat in a large shallow pan, and fry ears a few at a time until lightly brown, turning once.
- Remove from fat and drain.
- Pour dribbles of syrup over pastry and dust at once with generous amounts of powdered sugar, cardamom and pistachio.