Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was something my grandmother used to make. She passed away a few years ago, and I just recently was given her recipe indexes. I will be posting some of my childhood favorites as a tribute to her. Like many old time recipes, the spices are pretty bland. Feel free to kick this one up with garlic, chili peppers, or whatever you'd like!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all 'Dixie Mix' ingredients.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg, then coat with Dixie Mix.
- Heat Crisco over medium-high.
- Add chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Transfer the chicken to a shallow baking pan.
- Bake in the oven about 1 hour, or until juices run clear.
This made a very moist chicken. We thought the Dixie Mix would make a nice coating for fried fish. This was the first time I have had a cornmeal coating on fried chicken. It gave a very different texture. Thanks Chipotle Chick. Bullwinkle.