Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Super-thin, crispy and light onions! Made these last night and everyone couldn't get enough of them! This recipe came with a kitchen gadget I bought at Birmingham's HUGE Christmas Village craft show. It's called a "Country Cutter" and was made by a man from El Dorado, AR if anyone near there is interested in getting one. It looks like one of those apple peelers with a crank handle, and it cuts onions, potatoes, etc. into one long very thin spiral. You could probably get similiar results using a mandoline and slicing your onions super thin.
- Make egg wash by mixing egg and milk.
- Put sliced onions in a bowl and pour egg wash over them. Turn onion slices so that they're all thoroughly coated, then pour onions into a colander to drain.
- Put flour and seasoning salt in a plastic zip-top bag. Add onions and shake to coat.
- Slowly add onions to hot cooking oil in batches. They fry up quickly, so make sure not to burn them.
- My DH says these are so good they're "no ketchup needed." I like eating them with ranch dressing.
YUM! Came out perfect! So easy and tasty.
Loved them! Very quick snack. I didn't have said gadget (I missed the show this year :() so I just sliced the onions by hand. Thanks for posting this recipe!