Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
Very different from your current meatball recipes. Great hors d'oeuvres or part of a main course.
Make and share this Highland Beef Balls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 ounces suet, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- medium oatmeal (to coat)
- Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly and shape into 6 balls.
- Roll in oatmeal and fry in deep fat for about 5-7 minutes, depending on size, until they are a deep brown colour and cooked through.
I made this as part of Worldwide Recipezaar Day as an appetizer. The one Scot in our group took a bite and they we watched his eyes glaze over in nostalgia. I didn't have any mace, so I just added some more coriander, and a healthy dash of paprika. Good one, Miller!