Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Oh boy! Guess what what I just found on my grocer's shelf? Manchego. Recipe courtesy Chuck Hughes of the Cooking Channel.
- Place the flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs in 3 separate dishes.
- Dip the cheese cubes into each ingredient to coat, starting with the flour and ending with the panko.
- Preheat the canola oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F, (or in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the pan about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 375 degrees F.) If you don't have a thermometer, a cube of bread will brown in about 3 minutes.
- Add the breaded cheese to the hot oil, in batches, and deep fry until the cubes are crisp and golden.
- Remove the cheese from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to absorb the excess oil. Transfer the cheese to a serving platter, drizzle with the honey, and dust with the paprika.
This was amazing. I couldn't find any manchego, so bought some haloumi and paneer and cut up both. Both cheeses fried up well and tasted amazing. I actually ended up drizzling with the sauce from Battered Chicken Tapas With Honey and Mustard ( Pollo Rebozado) and it went together perfectly. Definitely looking forward to making these again.
So tempting to have it in just one sitting! I love cheese, and this makes me love cheese even more.
Just LOVED it! I had a wedge of Manchego, so mine are more like smallish rectangles, but the TASTE!! YUM!! (Can you tell I really, really LIKED it? LOL) I'm glad I found this, and I'm so glad I love cheese! One of my favorite things to discover about a country! That's terrible - but the cheese is GOOD! Go to the store and get the stuff so you can make this, NOW!