Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a clone from the Hot Dog on a Stick store that is famous for their corn dogs & lemonade. Remember eating these all the time when we got to travel out to the mall.
- Preheat oil in a deep pan or fryer to 375 degrees.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Add the milk and egg yolks to the dry ingredients and mix with an electric mixer on high speed until batter is smooth.
- Dry off the hot dogs with a paper towel.
- Jab the thin end of a single chopstick about halfway into the end of each hot dog.
- When the oil is hot, tip the bowl of batter so that you can completely coat each hot dog. Roll the hot dog in the batter until it is entirely covered.
- Hold the hot dog up by the stick and let some of the batter drip off. Quickly submerge the hot dog in the oil and spin it slowly so that the coating cooks evenly. After about 20 seconds you can use a lid to the deep fryer or pan to put weight on the stick, keeping the hot dog fully immersed in the oil. You can cook a couple dogs at a time this way.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until coating is dark brown. Turn them once or twice as they cook.
- Drain on paper towels while cooling, and repeat with remaining hot dogs.