1/3 Photos of Hush Puppies
I get a kick out of seeing these hush puppies turn themselves over, and they taste great! They usually disappear before the meal. If you don't like my sweet Southern version, just omit the sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1/2 cup grated onion (1 medium or 1/2 large)
- 5 tablespoons buttermilk or 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 slices white bread, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons grated green bell peppers (optional)
- 1Mix all ingredients together just until they are wet.
- 2Refrigerate 30 minutes to 5 hours.
- 3To cook, heat oil to about 350-375 degrees.
- 4Dip a small spoon in cold water, then get a spoonful of batter, using the side of the bowl to"break-off" the spoonful of batter from the bowl.
- 5Immediately submerge spoon in the hot oil for a few seconds until the Hush Puppy releases from the spoon.
- 6Repeat this process with each Hush Puppy, until you have 6 or 7 in the hot oil.
- 7Do not crowd the"puppies", as you do not want to lower the temperature of the hot oil.
- 8Getting the spoon wet between puppies is important, as it helps keep the batter from sticking to the spoon.
- 9If your oil is the correct temperature, the hush puppies should be golden on the outside and cooked on the inside.
- 10When golden on one side, if they automatically turn themselves over, you're cooking like a Pro.
- 11If they don't give them a little nudge to make them turn over.
- 12Possible Problems: If oil is too hot, or"raw puppies are too large", they will get too browned on the outside and be gummy or runny on the inside.
- 13If oil is not hot enough, the puppies will be greasy.
- 14I usually put 1 or 2 spoonsful of batter in the hot oil to test it before making a whole batch of these tasty little Southern treats.
- 15Adjust oil temperature as needed.
- 16Although not quite as good as when freshly cooked, I often freeze leftover hush puppies and reheat them in a toaster oven until warm.
- 17They are still mighty good.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hush Puppies
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 56.1
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 23.6 mg
- Sodium 416.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Jiffy cornbread mix