Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love hush puppies, but wanted something lighter than 100% cornbread and without wheat. I also like it spicy. This recipe uses rice flour instead of wheat flour, but it works well with about anything. Consider replacing 1/2 the flour with corn flour.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, break up any lumps.
- Stir in onions, green onions, and chives.
- Add egg and blend well.
- Add liquid until batter is thick enough to form into balls, but not runny.
- In a large skillet or deep fryer, heat 4" oil to 350°F or 180°C.
- Form batter into 3/4" to 1" balls and drop into the hot oil (use two spoons to form them with).
- Do not crowd.
- Cook until dark golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
EXCELLENT... especially for gluten-free! My family was quite impressed! I did cut way back on the pepper for the sake of my 3 year old and my 89 year old grandma :). Also, I used half water and half milk. I loved the way the puppies puffed up and held together. This recipe will definitely go into my gluten free cookbook- IT'S A KEEPER.