1/5 Photos of Indian Restaurant Style Onion Bhaji - Deep Fried Onion Fritters
French Tart's Note:
An absolute must as an accompaniment to curry or wonderful as a starter for an Indian meal. Onion Bhajis are tasty little onion balls bound together with lightly spiced and fragrant chickpea flour batter. Serve these with coriander chutney or cucumber raita. You will ALWAYS be offered these on any British Indian restaurant menu; they also make great snacks if served with salad and assorted chutneys and spicy dips. You can lighten these up a little bit by frying them, and then allowing them to drain over a wire rack before reheating them in a medium to hot oven for about 3 to 5 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the vegetable oil into a large pan and heat over a medium to high heat.
- 2Make the batter: In a large bowl, add the chickpea flour, baking powder, rice flour, turmeric, black onion seeds, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and the water. Mix together well and then add the sliced onion - mix the onion through until well coated.
- 3Check the temperature of the oil by dropping a small cube of bread in - it should brown fairly slowly - not burn or go dark brown straight away.
- 4Carefully drop spoons of the bhaji batter in to the oil, do NOT overcrowd as they will stick together. Fry them in small batches for 1 to 2 minutes until they are a golden brown and crispy. Remove them with a slotted spoon and allow them to drain on a paper covered plate in a warm oven.
- 5Repeat until all the bhaji batter is finished and they are all cooked.
- 6Sprinkle over a little salt and serve straight away with coriander chutney or cucumber raita.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Restaurant Style Onion Bhaji - Deep Fried Onion Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1691.4
- Calories from Fat 1504
- Total Fat 167.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 132.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: