Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Indonesian beef and potato fritters. These could probably be made with leftover mashed potatoes as well.
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, plus more for deep frying
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- Mix together the mashed potatoes, 1 teaspoon of the salt, half the pepper, the coriander, nutmeg, parsley and egg.
- Preheat a wok until hot. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil, the shallots and garlic; saute until soft.
- Add beef and stir to break up clumps; brown until meat is no longer red, about 2 minutes. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Cool.
- Combine the meat with the potato mixture.
- Form into 16 balls and flatten them into cakes about 2 inches round by 1 inch thick.
- Refrigerate, if not fried immediately.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a preheated wok. Heat to 365°F Add 4 or 5 cakes, or as many as will fit into the pan without crowding or reducing the temperature of the oil.
- Deep fry, turning occasionally until golden brown, about 3 minutes. (If preferred, the cakes may be pan-fried in a flat skillet.) Remove to paper towels to drain. Serve hot or at room temperature.