Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a nice change from regular poutine in that it uses marinara sauce in place of the beef gravy. Not sure if it could ever beat the original, but I like it for a variation once and awhile. Be sure to use real cheese curds or it is just not a poutine. If you ever have the opporuntity to go to Quebec, stop at one of the casse croutes along the highway and order a real, French-Canadian potine. You will NOT be disappointed!
- 1 quart vegetable oil (for frying)
- 10 1⁄4 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 5 medium potatoes, cut into fries
- 2 cups cheese curds
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Warm spaghetti sauce in saucepan or microwave.
- Place the fries into the hot oil, and cook until light brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Place the fries on a serving platter, and sprinkle the cheese over them.
- Ladle spaghetti sauce over the fries and cheese, and serve immediately.
- Top with a bit of parmesan cheese.
My friends all thought I was nuts when I described this to them. I grew up in a French Canadian family and this was always a favourite!