Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A switch to your Jalapeno Poppers! Shrimp (diced)can be used instead of the crab.Great for Parties.
Make and share this Jalapeno Poppers Stuffed with Cheese and Crab recipe from Food.com.
- 16 fresh jalapeno chiles
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 lb cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can lump crabmeat, drained and checked for shells
- flour, for coating
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs
- oil (for deep frying)
- Carefully make a lengthwise slit up the side of each chile and remove the seed sack.
- Cover the jalapenos with milk and soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- Mix cheese and crab.
- Drain, rinse and fill each chile with cheese mixture.
- Coat each one lightly with flour (this helps the coating adhere).
- Mix together the egg, water and oil and dip each chile in the mixture, then in the crumbs.
- Make sure all the surface is coated with crumbs; gently pat any loose crumbs into place.
- Place the chiles on a rack, to dry at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before frying.
- This is important, because otherwise the coating will come off while frying.
- Deep fry the chiles in hot oil until golden brown, drain on paper towels season with salt and serve hot with salsa or your favorite sauce.
Awesome easy to make big hit at my bbq ty for posting will be making it again
These had a great flavor. I loved the crab-cheese filling. I'm thinking I might add some chopped crispy bacon to the cheese. I'm also wondering if it would work to bake them so that your can do more at a time. I'm definitely going to play with this one - it has so many possibilities.