Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made this last summer holidays when I went back to Japan.It's really crispy and really nice, and you can serve it with fried sweet potato (satsuma imo), which we cook like french fries.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Trim off all the yellow fat from the chicken.
- Prick it all over with a fork.
- Rub the salt and pepper into the chicken.
- Marinate the chicken for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil for deep frying in a wok or deep pan.
- Dry the chicken with the kitchen paper.
- Coat the chicken with the corn starch.
- Shake off any extra corn starch.
- Deep fry until nice and golden colour and cooked through.
- We can tell by how it feels, but you might check it with a skewer and see that no red juices are running.
Love this recipe followed it exactly and my husband who hates dark meat loved this he could not belive that it was not chicken breast!!
This recipe is good. I'm new at deep-frying so I decided to only fry two thighs and broil the other parts of a whole chicken. The broiled chicken turned out fine, I just might suggest increasing the sake,soy, and sugar (since I'm not a big fan of the balsamic flavor). However, the fried thighs were a mess (this may be because I don't have a temperature controlled deep-fryer and the thighs were skinless). They were charred and burned because the inside wasn't cooking (so I had to cut them to allow the oil to reach the inside). I would suggest frying boneless bite-size pieces of chicken instead of whole thighs.
This was LOVED by all my children. I used chicken breast, but other than that, followed the recipe faithfully. Thank you so much for sharing.