1/9 Photos of Japanese Fried Chicken Karaage With Onion Ginger Relish
1 hr 15 mins
In the past most chicken karaage (Japanese style fried chicken) recipes were marinated chicken pieces which were deep fried and simply served. Now in Japan, fried chicken karaage recipes often come with different sauces or relishes. One of my favorite is onion sauce, but this one is equally good. If difficult to get leg sections, boneless thighs work very well too. Make several small cuts (not skin side) to flatten the thighs so they lay flatter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken legs (drumstick and thigh section) or 6 boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Marinade or Coating
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour
- 3 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chinese black vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1Massage chicken pieces with 1/2 tsp salt (to remove any unpleasant smell) and wash under cold running water and pat dry.
- 2If using bone in chicken legs, cut thigh meat (not skin side)in several areas to make leg sections lay flatter. Using the dull side of knife, pound slightly to flatten more. If using boneless chicken thighs, pound lightly to flatten for quick frying.
- 3Combine marinade/coating mixture thoroughly in a large bowl and marinate chicken for 30 minutes. Because this coating is thick, it is best to use your hand to coat the chicken pieces. In Asia, we call these types of coating marinades as simply marinades since it does impart taste to the food being marinated.
- 4While chicken is marinating, make vinegar sauce by combining all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- 5Make relish by combining all relish ingredients and set aside.
- 6With ample oil (about 1 inch in depth) in a wok or deep fryer, heat oil to medium high. Fry chicken turning them occasionally and adjust heat for even frying. They are done when nicely browned and crunchy, and no longer red in the center. This takes approximately 30-40 minutes for bone-in leg sections and about 15-20 minutes for boneless thigh sections. Timing will depend on how high the temperature is.
- 7Remove and cut in bite size pieces using a cleaver for bone in chicken or cut in bite size pieces using a regular kitchen knife for boneless chicken. Usually one leg section will yield 4 to 5 cut sections. Arrange on large platter and drizzle vinegar sauce over the chicken pieces and arrange a mound of relish on top.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Fried Chicken Karaage With Onion Ginger Relish
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.5
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 123.4 mg
- Sodium 825.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 22.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: