1/1 Photo of Julie's Creamed Spinach
This is my favorite side dish to make for formal dinners and holidays. It's the culmination of playing with several different recipes over the years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1 low-sodium chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (less if regular)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg (less if dried)
- 1Thaw spinach and squeeze water out.
- 2Over medium-high heat, melt butter and sautee onion until translucent.
- 3Add flour and stir for a minute or two until just slightly browned.
- 4Add cream, a little at a time, continually stirring. When thickened, turn heat down to low.
- 5In a coffee cup, add boiling water to chicken bouillon to dissolve it. Then add that to the white sauce along with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 6Add spinach, cover and heat a few more minutes until spinach is hot.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Julie's Creamed Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.8
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.7 mg
- Sodium 213.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes