1/7 Photos of Kara-Age - Japanese Style Fried Chicken
Chef floWer's Note:
I love Japanese food, I don't make this recipe to often as I try to stay away from deep frying. It comes from a book called 'Taste of Japan' by Masaki Ko.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- oil, for deep frying
- 1/2 cup cornflour, for coating (you may need a more then 1/2 cup)
For the marinade
- salad leaves
- 1Grate the ginger and squeeze it over a bowl to extract it's juices. Add the sake or wine and soya.
- 2Cut the chicken thighs into four chunks and rub well with the marinade, then set aside in the marinade for 30 minutes.
- 3Heat the oil slowly for 165-170oC/330-340oF. Pat the chicken dry on paper towel. When the oil is hot, dust the chicken generously with cornflour and lower the pieces into the oil. To maintain the oil temperature, do not add too many chicken pieces at once. Deep fry the chicken pieces for 4-5 mins, until crisp, golden and cooked through.
- 4Halve on chicken piece to make sure it is cooked inside. Drain the rest of the chicken, then serve hot or cold.
- 5Garnished with salad leaves.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kara-Age - Japanese Style Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.7
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 157.9 mg
- Sodium 1151.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 35.6 g