This is the best yummiest tofu you will ever eat. I kid you not. It was adapted vegetarian style from a traditional Japanese recipe here on RecipeZaar, Enjoy!
- 2 -3 cups firm tofu, cubed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (can use one or the other) or 2 tablespoons plain flour (can use one or the other)
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 slices lemons, to garnish
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, miran. Place the tofu in the mixture and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Mix the corn flour with the plain flour.
- Take each piece of tofu from the marinade and roll in the flour mixture until it is coated completely.
- Heat the oil to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) and deep-fry the tofu pieces for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dry on a towel and serve, it is amazingly good, enjoy on it's own or with some sesame sauce or ginger sauce for dipping.
Was very tasty! I found after 1/2 hour it wasn't marinaded enough (not enough kick once cooked) so I will try to marinade for longer next time. It was a great way to eat tofu. I wasn't too crazy about the deep fried idea so would probably pan fry next time for the same crispy flavour. Kids loved them!