Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I haven't tried this yet but it seemed worth a go.
Make and share this Kentucky Fried Chicken (Copycat) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pancake mix with one package of dressing mix in a large bowl.
- Combine remaining package dressing mix with eggs and club soda or beer.
- Dip each piece of chicken in egg and soda mixture, then in pancake mixture.
- Let dry on rack or paper towelling (pieces should not touch) about 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 425 degrees.
- Fry coated chicken pieces in hot oil for 6 minutes.
- Remove and place on baking sheet (not touching).
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until done.
425 degrees is way too hot for deep frying anything, especially chicken. Most oils and fats really start to break down above about 375. Chicken needs time to cook inside and not be too burned outside so save your oil and your chicken by taking off at least 50 degrees and preferably 75 or 100 degrees off of the temperature of the oil. Bruce
We really enjoyed this chicken! There were some changes I had to make to the frying, though. When I put the first pieces in the fryer at 425 degrees, as stated, they were burnt after 3 minutes. So I lowered the heat to 350 degrees and took them out of the oil after 3 minutes; they had a perfect crust then. The best part was the chicken meat itself -- the juiciest I have ever tasted. I don't know if the short frying period sealed in all the juices, but the meat was so tender and moist that everyone raved about it. Thanks for sharing this recipe!!
What a waste of ingredients! I actually had to go and buy already made chicken. If I am going to use 484 calories on a piece of chicken it should at least taste good. The breading fell right on when it was being deep fried and what did stick was way too sweet... YUCK!