Nice and crispy! Sweet with a Kick! Top that juicy steak with these! If you want more of a kick add 1 teaspoon of Old Bay to the milk mixture as well!
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine the buttermilk, hot pepper sauce and sugar in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, Old Bay, salt and pepper in a shallow baking dish.
- Peel and cut the onions into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Separate the onion slices into rings and towel dry.
- Dip the rings in the buttermilk and shake off the excess liquid.
- Dredge the rings in the flour mixture, shake off the excess.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil to 400 degrees over medium-high heat in a large heavy pan.
- Add the onions to form a single layer on the oil's surface and cook until golden brown, no more than 3 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer the onions to the paper towel-lined plate.
- Let stand 2 minutes to drain, then carefully transfer to the rack in the warm oven.
- Repeat till all are fried.
- Season with salt!