These make the best onion rings! try to use panko for this it will really make a difference to the texture, use large sweet onions preferably Bermuda --- you will love these! --- I use Jim's great panko breadcrumb recipe for these Homemade Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced thin into rings
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
CRISPY COATING MIXTURE
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or regular salt, can use less than 1 teaspoon if desired)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional but good to add in, I use lots as we like extreme heat)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (preferably panko bread crumbs)
- oil (for frying)
- Heat the oil to about 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk and eggs.
- In a bowl mix together the coating mixture, then place into a shallow dish (a shallow dish makes for easier coating of the rings).
- Dip/coat the onion rings into the buttermilk mixture.
- Then coat generously into the dry coating mixture.
- Fry briefly in hot oil (turning once) until onion rings are lightly brown on both sides.