These make the best onion rings! try to use panko for this it will really make a difference to the texture, use large sweet onions preferably Bermuda --- you will love these! --- I use Jim's great panko breadcrumb recipe for these Homemade Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced thin into rings
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
CRISPY COATING MIXTURE
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or regular salt, can use less than 1 teaspoon if desired)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional but good to add in, I use lots as we like extreme heat)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (preferably panko bread crumbs)
- oil (for frying)
- Heat the oil to about 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk and eggs.
- In a bowl mix together the coating mixture, then place into a shallow dish (a shallow dish makes for easier coating of the rings).
- Dip/coat the onion rings into the buttermilk mixture.
- Then coat generously into the dry coating mixture.
- Fry briefly in hot oil (turning once) until onion rings are lightly brown on both sides.
I loved how the batter stuck to these onion rings! We used panko crumbs for the bread crumbs and it gave them a good crunch. I soaked the onions in the egg/b.milk mixture for an hour. I put all of the dry ingredients in a gallon size ziploc bag, then I dropped some onions (1 batch at a time) in the bag and tossed it around. It was fast, easy and gave a great coating. Thanks for the recipe. My husband is always suggesting we make some onion rings and this was the recipe I chose...so glad I did!
Everyone gave 5 stars on this recipe. I followed your recipe exactly, but I am going to have to change one thing though, and that is to make a double batch because there was not even enough to have a second helping. Thank you Kittencal. *Adding another 5 star review* I just used this recipe for deep fried Okra and it works very well. I did add in 1 T. onion powder. I'm going to stick with this dipping mixture. Thanks again.
OMG!! These were fantastic!! I was a little leery about making onion rings at home but not anymore!! They were easy and the taste....oh..the taste! I used Panko bread crumbs, as suggested, and seasoning salt and only dipped once. Thank you for yet another winner Kitten!