For as long as I can remember, my mom has made this for all the special days like birthdays, holidays, and dinner parties. I've always loved them and am now making them for my own family. This is a side dish made for banquet/special event tables. It is usually served along with other Korean dishes, and in that way eaten as a side dish, or it is served alone as an appetizer. You can of course just eat it w/rice for dinner. It can be eaten at any time. I'll add step by step pictures!
- DIRECTIONS FOR CHICKEN PREPARATION.
- Cut fat off of the chicken and wash.
- Place clean chicken in colander and make sure to drain all of the excess water off the chicken.
- DIRECTIONS FOR PASTE.
- Finely dice 1/2 large onion into tiny, tiny pieces.
- Grind other 1/2 of the large onion.
- Or simply grind whole onion if you want to avoid finely dicing onion.
- Add to large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the mixing bowl.
- Mix everything until it becomes a thick, pasty mixture.
- If it is not thick enough, in addition to the ingredient list, add up to 1/2 c potato starch and 1/2 c flour.
- Taste the batter at this time. If it is too sweet, add some more salt & pepper.
- DIRECTIONS FOR COMBINING.
- Add the dried off chicken into the pasty mixture.
- Mix well.
- Marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Leave out 1 hour prior to frying.
- Fry in 350 degree deep fryer for 8-12 minutes until golden & crispy.
- Before serving, cut through one cooked chicken wing to make sure that it has fully cooked.