Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are better than the original! Be very careful with the dough as it is very delicate.
Make and share this Krispy Kreme Copycat recipe from Food.com.
- Heat water to 100-110°F, and dissolve the yeast and sugar. Let mix sit for about 5 minutes, or until the solution forms a foamy layer on the top.
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl using an electric mixer, add yeast mixture, milk, egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Mix well for 30 seconds or until ingredients are just combined.
- Carefully roll the dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Use a 3-inch, well floured biscuit cutter and cut circles from the dough.
- Use a well-floured lid from a plastic soda bottle to remove the insides.
- Place the donuts on lightly floured cookie sheets, cover with wrap, and let them rest in a warm spot for about an hour or until they have doubled in size.
- While donuts are rising, heat vegetable shortening in a fyer to 375°F.
- After donuts have risen, carefully place 2 or 3 at a time to the heated shortening.
- Fry for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes per side, and transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Let cool for a minute or two, glaze and enjoy!
- To make the glaze: Combine powdered sugar and boiling water, whisk until dissolved and smooth, add a pinch of salt to taste.
This recipe is ok, I had no troubles with it as far as the consistency of the dough or anything like that. But the resulting doughnuts were too dense and a little chewy. And they taste NOTHING like a Krispy Kreme doughnut.
I was very surprised how loose and wet the dough was. There was no way i was going to be able to roll that with out a huge mess.
I was so disappointed! These donuts tasted like bread rolls in a sugar glaze. Definitely not a Krispy Kreme!:-(