These are better than the original! Be very careful with the dough as it is very delicate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast, 1 (.25)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Heat water to 100-110°F, and dissolve the yeast and sugar. Let mix sit for about 5 minutes, or until the solution forms a foamy layer on the top.
- 2Mix flour and salt in a large bowl using an electric mixer, add yeast mixture, milk, egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- 3Mix well for 30 seconds or until ingredients are just combined.
- 4Carefully roll the dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Use a 3-inch, well floured biscuit cutter and cut circles from the dough.
- 5Use a well-floured lid from a plastic soda bottle to remove the insides.
- 6Place the donuts on lightly floured cookie sheets, cover with wrap, and let them rest in a warm spot for about an hour or until they have doubled in size.
- 7While donuts are rising, heat vegetable shortening in a fyer to 375°F.
- 8After donuts have risen, carefully place 2 or 3 at a time to the heated shortening.
- 9Fry for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes per side, and transfer them to a cooling rack.
- 10Let cool for a minute or two, glaze and enjoy!
- 11To make the glaze: Combine powdered sugar and boiling water, whisk until dissolved and smooth, add a pinch of salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Krispy Kreme Copycat
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1623.1
- Calories from Fat 1483
- Total Fat 164.7 g
- Saturated Fat 47.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 90.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 2.9 g