1/1 Photo of Little Fish of the Garden (Peixinhos Da Horta) - Portuguese
Entered for safe-keeping, couldn't resist the name of these fried battered flat beans by Ana Patuleia Ortins in "Portuguese Homestyle Cooking." Serve hot or at room temperature as an appetizer or side dish. Is it just me, or does this sound like a good time to use the deep fryer?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the beans and trim the tips. Place the beans in a medium saucepan with 1 teaspoon of the salt and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until almost tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well and blot to remove excess water.
- 2Make a batter of the eggs, flour, remaining salt, and pepper.
- 3Heat about 1 cup of oil in a small skillet until hot, but not smoking. Working with 3 beans at a time, dip the beans in the batter forming a group of 3.
- 4Immediately place the grouped beans in the skillet and pan-fry. The beans should stik together as they fry, although sometimes you may get one or two that separate. When the beans are a light golden color on both sides, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 5Serve hot or at room temperature as an appetizer or a side dish.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Little Fish of the Garden (Peixinhos Da Horta) - Portuguese
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 641.3
- Calories from Fat 532
- Total Fat 59.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 951.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 9.9 g