1/3 Photos of Lorilyn's Deep Fried Stuffed French Toast
A light & fluffy coating on thick slices of Texas Toast, filled with a lightly sweetened cream cheese with a hint of almond flavoring. This is a recipe I created this morning. DH & I were watching the Food Network last night & saw mention of a restaurant that serves deep fried french toast but no recipe or hints on how it was made. It sounded interesting enough to play around with so I browsed my kitchen & made a few notes on what to try this morning. I had Texas Toast & some cream cheese on hand & it occurred to me that I could make a filling to stuff the extra thick slices of bread with. This is the final result. We loved it & I hope you enjoy it too! *Note - I used a deep fryer for this but you could easily do it in a deep sided pan on the stove or a deep sided griddle. We tried these with my blueberry/raspberry syrup from Verry Berry French Toast, with lazyme's Blackberry-Raspberry Sauce, store-bought orange marmalade and maple syrup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 10 slices Texas toast thick bread (or other thick sliced bread)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar (optional, for garnish)
- 1In stand up mixer or in small bowl, combine cream cheese, almond extract and powdered sugar until fluffy.
- 2Fit a cake decorating bag with a large tip (star or round) and fill with cream cheese mixture. Set aside.
- 3Using a serrated bread knife, slice each piece of Texas Toast into half on the diagonal.
- 4Along the newly cut diagonal edge, use the tip of the knife to gently make a one inch slice into the center of the bread, making sure the slice runs parallel to the top and bottom of the bread.
- 5Insert the decorator tip into the opening & squeeze out about a teaspoon or so of filling. With a thumb & finger, gently pinch the opening to close it back up & cover the filling. (This could also be done with a ziplock baggie with a corner cut off, although not quite as easily.).
- 6In mixer or another medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt.
- 7Beat in milk and eggs until batter is smooth. Pour into deep wide bowl or into a pie plate, for dipping.
- 8Pre-heat deep fryer or griddle (about 350°) and when ready dip filled slices of bread into batter, turn once and place into fryer basket. (Mine will hold two slices at a time.)
- 9Fry 2 minutes or until lightly browned & crispy looking then turn each slice over with a pair of tongs and fry the other side for 2 minutes or until done.
- 10Remove with tongs to paper towel lined plate to drain. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- 11Repeat with the rest of the slices.
- 12Serve immediately (careful - filling is hot) with your choice of syrups, jams or jellies.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lorilyn's Deep Fried Stuffed French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.0
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 145.4 mg
- Sodium 1087.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 16.2 g