1/1 Photo of Malai Kofta (Stuffed potato balls in cream)
1 hr 50 mins
This sinfully good recipe is from the Foodcourt column by Anjali Vellody from the Weekend magazine for this week. She is a Food Writer with 15 years of experience and has written 3 cookbooks for 'Khaleej Times'. Coming to this recipe, did you know that the word 'kofta' originates from the Persian word "koofteh" meaning "pounded"? Although today we have several vegetarian versions of koftas, they were originally made of the meat of goat, lamb, buffalo or chicken. Basically, koftas are meatballs(grinning mischievously- hint for someone ultra-special to me!) served with special gravies. I truly hope you enjoy this lovely dish which is very common at parties/potlucks. The koftas can be served without the gravy as you would serve appetisers. Enjoy! ;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g potatoes, boiled and grated
- 100 g panir, crumbled (cottage cheese)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- oil, to deep fry
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled,washed and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled,washed and ground to a paste
- 2 cloves garlic, ground to a paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1Mix all the ingredients for the Koftas together.
- 2Divide the mixture into equal portions.
- 3Shape into balls.
- 4Flatten each ball.
- 5Place 1/2 tsp.
- 6of chopped nuts and raisins in the center of each ball.
- 7Close the ball (you may use a little water to seal the ball with your fingertips).
- 8Prepare all koftas in this way.
- 9Heat oil in a wok and deep fry the koftas till golden brown on either side.
- 10Remove onto clean paper napkins, allow the excess oil to drain and keep aside till you prepare the wonderful gravy.
- 11Now for the gravy.
- 12For that, heat 1 tbsp.
- 13of oil in a pot.
- 14Add the ginger-garlic paste.
- 15Saute for 4 minutes, stirring it continuously till it is golden in colour and the raw smell is gone.
- 16Add onions and fry till golden in colour.
- 17Add 2 tbsps.
- 18of water.
- 19Mix well.
- 20Add chilli, turmeric and corriander powders.
- 21Add 1/2 cup of water.
- 22Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 23Add salt to taste.
- 24Add 1-2 tbsps.
- 25of cream and cook for a minute.
- 26Remove from heat.
- 27Place koftas in a serving dish.
- 28Pour the gravy over them.
- 29Garnish with mango powder, cream, almond flakes and corriander leaves.
- 30Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Malai Kofta (Stuffed potato balls in cream)
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.1
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 8.3 mg
- Sodium 71.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: