1/1 Photo of Mean Chef's Southern Fried Chicken and Gravy
Jeff Hixson's Note:
Originally posted by Mean Chef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts water, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon salt (or substitute 2 cups buttermilk)
- 2 -2 1/2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings (optional)
- 1FOR THE CHICKEN: Combine 3 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt in a large bowl; add chicken pieces.
- 2Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- 3Or cover chicken pieces with buttermilk and refrigerate for 8 hours - if you want to be adventurous, add a 1 or 2 cups of hot sauce to the buttermilk when you marinate.
- 4Drain chicken; rinse with cold water, and pat dry.
- 5Combine 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle half of mixture over all sides of chicken - for the adventurous you can add 1 stp or more of cayenne or cajun spice to the flour mixture .
- 6Combine remaining mixture and flour in a gallon-size, heavy-duty, zip-top plastic bag.
- 7Place 2 pieces of chicken in bag; seal.
- 8Shake to coat completely.
- 9Remove chicken, and repeat procedure with remaining pieces.
- 10Combine vegetable oil and bacon drippings in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or chicken fryer; heat to 360ºF.
- 11Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, skin side down.
- 12Cover and cook 6 minutes; uncover and cook 9 minutes.
- 13Turn chicken pieces; cover and cook 6 minutes.
- 14Uncover and cook 5 to 9 minutes, turning pieces during the last 3 minutes for even browning, if necessary.
- 15Drain chicken on a paper towel-lined plate placed over a large bowl of hot water.
- 16FOR THE GRAVY: Pour off pan drippings, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in skillet.
- 17Place skillet over medium heat.
- 18Add flour to drippings, stirring constantly, until browned.
- 19Add milk gradually; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- 20Stir in salt and pepper.
- 21Serve immediately.
- 22Yield: 1 2/3 cups.
- 23Note: If you are using the buttermilk marinade, you can flour the chicken first, dip in the marinade and flour again.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Chef's Southern Fried Chicken and Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (1228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1673.5
- Calories from Fat 1332
- Total Fat 148.0 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 187.3 mg
- Sodium 2850.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 50.3 g