1/2 Photos of Mee Krob (Thai Crisp Fried Noodles)
Crispy deep-fried rice noodles coated with a sweet-and-sour sauce. An easy, tasty Thai dish with interesting textures and flavors. Add pork, chicken, shrimp, or fried tofu, or a combination -- your choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces dried rice vermicelli
- 1 1/2 inches tamarind pulp
- 3 cups peanut oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with a
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chile, sliced
- 4 ounces boneless pork or 4 ounces chicken, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 ounces shrimp, peeled,deveined and finely chopped (optional)
- 4 tablespoons tamarind juice (see steps 2 and 3)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons palm sugar or 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime zest (preferably kaffir)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1Gather all ingredients together before commencing to cook.
- 2Cover tamarind pulp with 2/3 cup hot water, and crush and break up pulp with a fork.
- 3Let stand for 20 minutes, then pour mixture through a strainer and press to extract the liquid.
- 4Reserve 4 tablespoons of tamarind liquid for the sauce.
- 5Place rice vermicelli inside a large paper or plastic bag, and break into pieces.
- 6Heat peanut oil until very hot (between 375 deg F and 400 deg F).
- 7Fry noodles in small batches until they puff up and turn light to golden brown each batch will only take a few seconds (allow oil to get hot again between batches).
- 8Remove at once with a slotted spoon, or wire strainer, and drain immediately on paper towels.
- 9Next, deep fry the diced tofu until golden brown, drain and keep warm in a low oven.
- 10Lastly, drizzle the egg into the oil in a circular fashion, and cook for around 30 seconds until golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- 11Remove egg from oil, break or slice into pieces, and keep warm in a low oven with the tofu.
- 12Combine the sauce ingredients, including the reserved tamarind liquid, in a saucepan, and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- 13Allow to simmer a few minutes until the liquid reduces in volume by about one third and starts to turn syrupy, then remove from heat and set aside.
- 14Pour oil from wok, reserving one tablespoon, and stir-fry the garlic, green onion, and one of the chilies until they start to color, about one minute.
- 15Add the meat and/or shrimp and stir-fry until just cooked, about one minute.
- 16Add the prepared sauce to the wok and toss all ingredients together until steaming hot.
- 17Mound the crisp fried noodles on a serving platter and spoon the sauce over.
- 18Scatter with bean sprouts, cilantro, the remaining sliced chilli, the deep-fried tofu, and the chopped egg.
- 19Serve immediately, as the noodles will soften after about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mee Krob (Thai Crisp Fried Noodles)
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1772.6
- Calories from Fat 1522
- Total Fat 169.1 g
- Saturated Fat 29.7 g
- Cholesterol 112.1 mg
- Sodium 1257.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: