Crispy deep-fried rice noodles coated with a sweet-and-sour sauce. An easy, tasty Thai dish with interesting textures and flavors. Add pork, chicken, shrimp, or fried tofu, or a combination -- your choice.
- 6 ounces dried rice vermicelli
- 1 1⁄2 inches tamarind pulp
- 3 cups peanut oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with a
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chile, sliced
- 4 ounces boneless pork or 4 ounces chicken, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 ounces shrimp, peeled,deveined and finely chopped (optional)
- 4 tablespoons tamarind juice (see steps 2 and 3)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons palm sugar or 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime zest (preferably kaffir)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh red chile, sliced
- 1⁄2-1 cup firm tofu, diced (optional)
- Gather all ingredients together before commencing to cook.
- Cover tamarind pulp with 2/3 cup hot water, and crush and break up pulp with a fork.
- Let stand for 20 minutes, then pour mixture through a strainer and press to extract the liquid.
- Reserve 4 tablespoons of tamarind liquid for the sauce.
- Place rice vermicelli inside a large paper or plastic bag, and break into pieces.
- Heat peanut oil until very hot (between 375 deg F and 400 deg F).
- Fry noodles in small batches until they puff up and turn light to golden brown each batch will only take a few seconds (allow oil to get hot again between batches).
- Remove at once with a slotted spoon, or wire strainer, and drain immediately on paper towels.
- Next, deep fry the diced tofu until golden brown, drain and keep warm in a low oven.
- Lastly, drizzle the egg into the oil in a circular fashion, and cook for around 30 seconds until golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- Remove egg from oil, break or slice into pieces, and keep warm in a low oven with the tofu.
- Combine the sauce ingredients, including the reserved tamarind liquid, in a saucepan, and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Allow to simmer a few minutes until the liquid reduces in volume by about one third and starts to turn syrupy, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour oil from wok, reserving one tablespoon, and stir-fry the garlic, green onion, and one of the chilies until they start to color, about one minute.
- Add the meat and/or shrimp and stir-fry until just cooked, about one minute.
- Add the prepared sauce to the wok and toss all ingredients together until steaming hot.
- Mound the crisp fried noodles on a serving platter and spoon the sauce over.
- Scatter with bean sprouts, cilantro, the remaining sliced chilli, the deep-fried tofu, and the chopped egg.
- Serve immediately, as the noodles will soften after about 10 minutes.