Prep 12 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Fried chicken with a Mexican flair. I got this when I lived in California. It makes gooood chicken.
Make and share this Mexican Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (cut-up or 4 lg chicken breasts)
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- lime wedge (optional)
- In a bowl combine sour cream, milk, chili peppers, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
- Place chicken pieces in a bag and set in a shallow dish.
- Pour sour cream mixture over chicken, seal bag.
- Refrigerate overnight, turn bag occasionally.
- Place flour in a shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from sour cream mixture shaking off excess.
- Discard remaining sour cream mixture.
- Add chicken pieces to flour mixture, a few at a time, turning to coat.
- Add oil to a 12-inch heavy skillet to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
- Heat over medium high heat until hot (350F) Reduce heat.
- Carefully add chicken to the skillet. Cook uncovered, over medium heat about 40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 F for breast, 180F for thighs and drumsticks), turning occasionally to brown evenly.
- Drain on paper towel.
Very good flavor. I would try double dipping next time, to make a thicker, crispier crust.
DH just loved this! I thought it was really good. He loves fried chicken. You can really taste the marinated ingredients in this dish. Mine came out on the darker side. Maybe I cooked it on a higher temperature, I don't know but it sure came out juicy and crispy. Thanks for posting.
I made this for dinner tonight. Last night my husband kept saying "What is the white stuff in that bag?" I don't know what to really say about it except that only at times could you really taste the marinade. I think that frying this kind of over powers the taste. I'm wondering if baking this would be more tasty. I might try this again but in the oven or by grilling it.