1/1 Photo of Mexican Potato Crisps With Lime Salsa
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Deep-fried Potato Crisps served with a lime salsa, an ideal accompaniment to grilled fish or steak, or as part of a Mexican meal or they can be served as a party snack with a selection of dips. For a much healthier version of this recipe with lower fat content, see the notes below. This recipe has been posted for the 2005 Zaar World Tour, from a recipe on an International Masters '1001 recipes for pan or wok' recipe card. The preparation and cooking times below do not include the 20 minutes soaking time. If time is limited, make the salsa while the potatoes are soaking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The Salsa: Cut a cross in the top of each tomato, put in a bowl of boiling water and soak for 2 minutes, drain, peel and deseed the tomatoes, then chop roughly; chop the onion; mix the onion, tomatoes, coriander, lime juice, olive oil and vinegar in a bowl, and chill until needed.
- 2Peel the potatoes, then cut into fine slices and place the slices in a bowl of iced water and soak for 20 minutes; then drain and dry thoroughly. (This removes the starch and prevents the crisps from sticking together while they are deep frying.).
- 3Half-fill a deep pan with oil for deep-frying and place over the heat. When a cube of white bread dropped into the oil for 30 seconds browns, the oil is ready for deep-frying the potatoes. Lower the potatoes into the oil in 4 batches. Deep- fry for 1-2 minutes, turning frequently until the slices rise to the surface, then fry for another 1-2 minutes, or until the crisps are crisp and golden.
- 4Remove the crisps with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt and serve with lime salsa.
- 5Oven-baked Alternative: Place the potato slices on well-greased oven trays, brush with oil and a sprinkling of herbs (optional) and bake the potato slices for about 25 minutes (turning 1/2 way through) or until they are well-browned and crisp. (See Herbed Potato Crisps Herbed Potato Crisps, for suggestions re-herbs.).
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Potato Crisps With Lime Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.7
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 4.7 g