1/1 Photo of Mexican Taquitos (Flautas)
ROBIN PENA's Note:
You'll be singing mariachi tunes after a plateful of these babies! Can you say "yummy" amigos? Keep in mind the prep time does not include cooking shredded meat as this step can be done days ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes or 3 -4 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo or 1 -2 fresh jalapeno
- 24 tortillas
- 24 toothpicks
- vegetable oil (for frying, ENOUGH TO COVER TAQUITOS AS THEY FRY)
- 1To make the sauce: Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt, bullion cube, and chiles to a blender; blend until smooth.
- 2In a sauce pan heat 1-2 teaspoons of vegetable oil over medium heat.
- 3Add sauce and simmer about 5-10 minutes.
- 4Reserve 1/4 cup of sauce for filling.
- 5To make filling: Mix shredded meat and reserved sauce together will.
- 6Heat vegetable oil for frying in a deep fryer or tall saucepan to 350-375°F.
- 7To make taquitos: Wrap 12 of the tortillas in a kitchen towel and put in microwave for 2 minutes. Keep tortillas wrapped in towel while making taquitos so they don't dry out.
- 8Place one tortilla on the counter in front of you and add shredded meat mixture in a line across the tortilla on the side closest to you, but not all the way on the edge (about 2-3 tablespoons of mixture. Begin to roll tortilla around mixture, rolling away from you (try to roll as tightly as possible so that the filling doesn't fall out during frying). Taquito should resemble a fat cigar (the sides are not folded in--they are just left open). Pierce with a toothpick through the center of taquito to keep from unrolling.
- 9Add each taquito to oil as you go or they will dry out and crack.
- 10Do not crowd oil too much. I usually cook about 6-7 at a time.
- 11Feel taquitos with tongs as they cook. When they are hard, remove and drain on paper towels (about 5 minutes). I usually line a large bowl with paper towels and drain all of the taquitos vertically so that all of the excess oil can drain out.
- 12When those 12 tortillas are done, heat up the remaining 12 in the same towel and repeat. The reason I don't heat up all 24 at the same time is because the stack is so thick that the top and bottom few tortillas dry out and the middle ones are not cooked enough and will crack when you try to roll them.
- 13When all of the taquitos are finished, put as many as you want per serving on a plate (I usually serve 5-6 per person); top with sauce.
- 14Add shredded lettuce and sliced onion.
- 15Top that with a few spoonfuls of sour cream (or if you are like me, more than a few).
- 16Sprinkle with queso fresco.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Taquitos (Flautas)
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1361.2
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 2868.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 226.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 37.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo